Maki Ashe Van Steenwyk (they/she) is the Executive Director of the Center for Prophetic Imagination in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Ashe cofounded the Mennonite Worker (an urban church and intentional community) in 2004. Until it closed in 2018, the Mennonite Worker was a hub for hospitality, spirituality, and resistance.
Ashe (who, before their gender transition, was known as “Mark”) is the author of A Wolf at the Gate, unKingdom, and That Holy Anarchist, and a contributor to a number of edited tomes. Ashe has been published in Sojourners, Geez Magazine, JesusRadicals.com, Leadership Magazine, the Mennonite, and Mennonite World Review. Their work has been featured in the Minneapolis Star Tribute, the Boston Globe, and on CNN.com.
As the former co-producer of the Iconocast, Ashe interviewed Cornel West, James Cone, Bill Ayers, Starhawk, Wazayatawin and many others. These days, Ashe is usually on the other side of the virtual microphone.
Ashe has a B.S. in Ministry from the University of Northwestern, an M.Div. from Bethel Theological Seminary, and studied Spiritual Direction at the University of St. Catherine’s graduate school. Ashe is currently a Doctor of Ministry student at United Theological Seminary.
- “Transfiguration” First Congregational Church of Oakland, March 2014
- “Jubilee” Church of All Nations, August 2013
Articles Featuring Ashe
- CNN: Mourn on the 4th of July: Inside the Christian Anti-Patriot Movement
- The Mennonite: Mark Van Steenwyk: A Mennonite Anarchist
Some interviews with Ashe
- Work of the People
- Debate with Keith Giles on Libertarian Christian Podcast
- Interview by Christian Piatt
- Interview on the Wright Show
- Can I Say This At Church
Ashe’s favorite interviews (as the interviewer) from the Iconocast
- Interview with Bill Ayers
- Interview with Waziyatawin (Part One, Part Two)
- Interview with Jin Kim
- Interview with James Cone
- Interview with Cornel West
- Interview with Jim Douglass
Ashe’s Deep Roots Episodes
- At Play with the Holy Fools
- Bayard Rustin, Forgotten Prophet
- Simone Weil, Red Virgin
- Ernesto Cardenal, Revolutionary Priest
- The Beguines
- Benjamin Lay
Ashe on Social Media